Information for New Zealanders living in Australia

Centrelink payments

Special Category Visa-holders

New Zealand citizens residing in Australia as a protected Special Category Visa-holder are eligible for Centrelink payments and concession cards.

Non-protected Special Category Visa-holders may be able to claim some Centrelink payments. If you’ve lived in Australia continuously as an SCV for at least 10 years you may be able to get JobSeeker or Youth Allowance for a single period of up to 6 months. You may also be able to get Tertiary Access Payment.

Australia has a Social Security Agreement with New Zealand that allows New Zealand citizens living in Australia to claim the:

Aged Pension and NZ Superannuation

New Zealanders living in Australia are eligible for the Australian Age Pension or New Zealand Superannuation.

Australian permanent residents and citizens

Permanent visa-holders may have to wait up to 4 years before they can get most Centrelink payments or concession cards. This is known as the Newly Arrived Resident's Waiting Period (NARWP).

Australian citizens are exempt from the NARWP, however, some payments also have a 2 year qualifying residence period for all applicants. This not the same as the NARWP.

Note: non-protected SCVs are considered permanent residents for citizenship purposes only from 1 July 2022.

There are some exemptions to the NARWP.


Contact Centrelink International Services or WINZ International Services for assistance.