Information for New Zealanders living in Australia

Travel records

Request your travel records to confirm your first arrival date into Australia.
Request your travel records to confirm your first arrival date into Australia.


04 July 2023

Home Affairs are receiving a higher than usual number of requests for international travel movement records. If you are applying for citizenship estimated travel dates, dates of first arrival or visa grant dates, will be accepted and the processing officer will confirm the exact dates using their systems after you lodge your application.

Arrival and departure records of travellers to and from Australia are held by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). Older records are held by National Archives Australia (NAA). You can request a copy of your travel records, there is no fee to do so.

Please note, if you:

Travel prior to 1981

Use the International movement records to obtain your travel details from National Archives Australia. The information is held on microfiche, if you can provide the date or month and year of travel it will speed up the process. A request can take up to 30 days to be processed.

Travel from 1981 to present

Submit an online request for your international movements via the Department of Home Affairs website. You will need to upload a copy of valid photo ID such as your passport, driver's license or government issued ID. Your records should arrive within 1-3 weeks.

Missing travel dates

If your travel records are missing a critical travel date submit a Request for Information (Form 424A) to the Department of Home Affairs. Under question 13 tick “Other”, and state the information is required urgently for a visa application. There is no cost to request your own records.