Information for New Zealanders living in Australia

Applying for Citizenship

21 September 2023
Information for New Zelanders when applying for Australian citizenship. (Photo: Department of Home Affairs website)
Information for New Zelanders when applying for Australian citizenship. (Photo: Department of Home Affairs website)

New direct pathway to citizenship

22 April 2023

Non-protected Special Category Visa-holders who have resided in Australia for at least the past four years can apply directly for citizenship from the 1 July 2023 without needing to apply for a permanent visa.

Back dated PR for NZ 189 visa applicants

10 December 2022

In recognition of the extraordinary wait-times to process the New Zealand Stream 189 visa, NZ citizens who have been or will be granted the visa after 31 December 2021 up to 1 July 2023 can apply for citizenship from 1 January 2023. They do not need to reside as a permanent resident for 12 months. Find out more about back dated PR for NZ 189 visa applicants.

The government are working to clear the backlog NZ 189 visa applications by mid-2023.

Information for citizenship by conferral

The following information is intended for New Zealand citizens who are eligible to apply for citizenship by conferral. If you are applying for citizenship by descent, by birth or at the age of 10 find out more here.

Note: From 1 July 2023 non-protected Special Category Visa-holders who have resided in Australia for at least the previous 4 years are eligible for Australian citizenship.

Before applying

Familiarise yourself with the Become an Australian citizen information on the Home Affairs website, especially the Step-by-step tab, before starting your application. Make a note of the information and supporting documents required before starting your application.

We have compiled some FAQs and a troubleshooting guide for citizenship applicants.

When applying for citizenship:

Eligibility for citizenship

To apply for citizenship you must have:

You may be asked to provide a Centrelink certificate - these are no longer being issued. If you:

Useful links

Check your visa status (VEVO).

Check you meet the residency requirement using the Residency Calculator.

Children applying for citizenship

Children born in Australia may already be an Australian citizen and should apply for Evidence of Australian citizenship.

Children must hold a permanent visa to apply for citizenship by conferral. If aged 16 and over they must make their own application.

Children aged 15 and under:

Apply online

Create an ImmiAccount to apply for citizenship by conferral online. Special Category Visa-holders can use VEVO look up their visa number.

You may not be able to apply for citizenship online if you:

If you are unable to apply online, there are different citizenship application forms. If you are aged:

Go to Step 3 Apply now on the Step by step tab of the Become a citizen page. Select paper application and download the appropriate PDF form. Application forms were updated on 1 July 2023, the words Design date 07/23a are at the bottom of each page.

If you are incorrectly charged the $80 non-internet application fee request a refund using Refund Request (Form 1424).

Supporting documents

Expand Step 2 Prepare your documents on the Home Affairs website for full details of the required supporting documents for your citizenship application.

Supporting documents only need to be certified if you have to use a paper form.

Some of the supporting documents required are:

Home Affairs may also request you complete Personal Particulars for Character Assessment Form 80.

Upload your documents

After submitting your citizenship application and payment online you will receive a confirmation email/letter with a Transaction Reference Number (TRN). You can then upload your supporting documents and endorsed photographs. Do not send any original documents to the Department of Home Affairs. You will be required to take them to your citizenship appointment.

Scan or photograph all your supporting documents in colour, one document per file. The scans and photos must be clear. If a document is more than one page, save it all as one file. Give files a descriptive name, for example, John Smith birth certificate.

Note: the ImmiAccount system will only upload jpg files smaller than 500 KB each.

Citizenship appointment

If your citizenship application is accepted, you will be invited to an appointment. The processing officer will view your original supporting documents and take your photograph. You will need your completed Identity declaration and correctly endorsed photographs for yourself and any children included in your application.

Citizenship test

Applicants aged between 18 and 59 are required to sit the citizenship test at their appointment. The test consists of 20 multiple-choice questions. You need to get 15 of the 20 questions correct and are given 45 minutes to complete the test - most people take less than 10 minutes. You will need to select your nearest Department of Home Affairs test centre.

Prepare for the test by downloading the Australian Citizenship - Our Common Bond PDF, listening to the Our Common Bond podcast, or trying some practice questions.

If you have a disability, poor computer skills, or need assistance to sit the test, refer to Citizenship test rules on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Character test

All criminal convictions, including historical, “spent” or minor sentences, must be declared on your citizenship application. Failing to do so will see your application declined. You will also fail the character requirements if you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, including historical offending or multiple short sentences totalling more than 12 months. A suspended sentence, where no jail time was served, is still a prison sentence.

Police check

When assessing your citizenship application the Department of Home Affairs will obtain your Australian National Police Check and New Zealand criminal record. You must give consent for them to do so in the citizenship application form.

You must provide an overseas police check for any other country you have spent more than 90 days or more since turning 18. This applies regardless of how long you have resided in Australia. If you cannot obtain a police check explain why and show proof you have tried to.

Citizenship processing times

The Department of Home Affairs reports processing times for citizenship by conferral applications on its website.

If your application is approved, you will receive a confirmation letter and Home Affairs will invite you to attend a citizenship ceremony. Look up the citizenship ceremony wait times for your local council, or ask your council about the frequency of citizenship ceremonies.

If you change address or renew your passport update your ImmiAccount if you applied online, or use Form 929 notify the Department of Home Affairs.

Application fee

The citizenship by conferral application fee varies depending on your eligibility, and how you apply. As at 1 July 2024 if you are aged:

Dual citizenship

New Zealanders automatically become dual citizens when granted Australian citizenship. As an Australian citizen you must depart and enter Australia on an Australian passport. Outside of Australia you can continue to travel on a New Zealand passport.


Can I apply for citizenship?

Refer to the become an Australian citizen information on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Technical help

If you cannot resolve an issue with your application, refer to Common issues and error messages and ImmiAccount Technical Support on the Home Affairs website.

Have a question?

See our citizenship application troubleshooting information or click the Ask a Question box at the bottom of the Home Affairs website to use the digital assistant. It may not work with Mozilla Firefox in private browsing mode.

Alternatively, phone the Department of Home Affairs on 13 18 81.


The above “Applying for citizenship” information should not be relied on as an alternative to advice from the Department of Home Affairs, or a professional immigration services provider.

If you have any specific questions about an immigration matter, you should consult the Department of Home Affairs or a professional immigration services provider.